Gerbera photo by Kelley

Gerbera photo by Kelley

Sunday, October 23, 2011

College at 51

I haven't blogged in soooo long. In July of last year (2010) I left my job of 20 years to pursue a college education at Oklahoma State University. I got my associates degree from NOC in May of 2010. I was so scared that first day it wasn't funny. I had to call a couple of my preacher friends to pray with me before I imploded. And the first week was kinda rough. I lost the keys to my car on day three and still haven't found them. Why I was so scared, I will never know. I suppose it was from moving so far out of my comfort zone and going to such a big school full of so many young people. It wasn't like I didn't know anyone. I know a lot of people in Ag Hall on the teacher level and through the extension service. But I was still scared. After the first week, I got to know some of my fellow students and found I actullay fit right in. We do have common ground in that we are seeking an education and to improve our lives. I found that I really enjoy the classroom atmosphere. And I have a god report with most of the kids. They think I'm a kinda wacky old hippy chick. And we have a good time with that. I still see some of the kids from the first semester for lunch and around campus. They will always have a special place in my heart because of their acceptance of me. Klent, Clint, Nikki, Kira,Dani and Jill are amazing people. I love them so much!!!!

Now I'm in the third semester of this amazing journey. Chemistry sucks but I'm trying to learn it. The plant classes are my favs. Plant and soil science was very interesting. My instructor, Miss Sarah, I consider a friend and am very fond of her. She has an infectious laugh. The ansi class was good too. I love animals but am glad that it's the only ansi class I need. I changed direction the second semester and decided to go with public hort which is more my cup of tea. That led me to plant propagation and greenhouse management. I love those classes. They are very humbling actually. I thought I knew so much about gardening and greenhouse gardening and have found I know lots about the big picture and very little about the components that make it work.

No comments:

Post a Comment